CLOSE MENU

Relief fragment from the wall of a mastaba

This block must have originally belonged to the wall of a chapel built into a rectangular structure with sloping sides, called a “mastaba” (from the Arabic for “bench”), which covered a shaft leading down to a burial chamber. The scene shows fishermen drawing in their nets under the supervision of the “director” (imy-ra) of fishing.

S. 1261
Stone / limestone
26 x 93 x 7 cm
28 x 76 x 8.5 cm
26 x 17.5 x 8 cm
2435–2305 BCE
Old Kingdom
Fifth Dynasty
Menfi, cemetery / unknown context
Purchased by Schiaparelli in Egypt (1900-1901)
Helsinki - Egypt of Glory -
Museo Egizio